Bryan Hepworth wrote:
The original update was from an rpm that was pre-built because there wasn't an official redhat rpm around at the time and there was a torrent of guff coming through, so it's more than just the perl rpm it was a whole 9 yards install from the latest one I could find at the time... 2.6 to 3.0 from memory

The new perl install was because the spamassassin program complained it had dependencies so I thought I'd ask advice beforehand.

My success with rpm -e package has always ended in disaster or it's not installed so that's why i wanted as much information as I could get. Can you show me the update command line you suggested for both?

rpm -Uvh first-rpm-file second-rpm-file

You can pass as many packages as you want to RPM.

--
Kelson Vibber