Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

>> Definitely not.
>>
>> Look at the prompts. Miguel is running spamassassin as root.
>>
>> Miguel is running spamc as root, but spamd will *NEVER* scan mail as
>> root. It
>> will setuid itself to nobody if it finds this situation.
>

> At least, not on a recent version -- this was a rather prominent bug
> under many OSen.

Very true, that is a definite caveat to my statement that "spamd will never scan
mail as root". I suppose a better statement would be "spamd should never scan
mail as root".

That said, AFAIK the "many OSen" are limited *BSD variants, including Mac OS X.

In this case RedHat is the OS, which is Linux kernel based, which I think is
immune to this issue due to differences in how the Linux kernel handles setuid
as compared to the BSD kernel.