If I understand your question correctly, the industry seems to be going this
way...

Postfix has this beautiful rule.

------------------
reject_unverified_recipient

Reject the request when mail to the RCPT TO address is known to bounce, or
when the recipient address destination is not reachable. Address
verification information is managed by the verify(8) server; see the
ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README file for details.

The unverified_recipient_reject_code parameter specifies the response when
an address is known to bounce (default: 450, change into 550 when you are
confident that it is safe to do so). Postfix replies with 450 when an
address probe failed due to a temporary problem. This feature is available
in Postfix 2.1 and later.
------------------

The nice thing about rejecting unverified recipients is that you will cut a
substantial amount of traffic on your email servers instantly, 75% to 90%
would not be an unreasonable reduction in unwanted traffic.

If you have servers downstream of your Postfix, they must support recipient
verification as well. For instance, Exchange 2000 does not, but Exchange
2003 does.

Where do all those bad email addresses come from? I have heard a couple
theories. One is that spammers are sending spam to your domain, when it
bounces it gets sent to the correct recipient by your email server (if your
server does not do recipient validation as described above). Another theory
is that these are email address harvest attacks. And, another theory is that
spammers just don't care, the make email addresses up and sell them to other
spammers.

Regardless, rejecting unverified recipients will most likely be a new
standard going forward, especially since Microsoft added the feature to
Exchange 2003 which makes it a default standard for office email systems.