On Montag, 17. Oktober 2005 16:52 Spam Admin wrote:
> So, to temporarily resolve this, I bumped our kill_level to 5.9 and
> am monitoring it; my false positives have pretty much disappeared. Of
> course, I've seen a *slight* increase in fasle negatives versus 2.63,
> so I'll be tuning.

I use 5.0 (the default) on several servers, with very good results.
Almost no FP, almost no SPAM. There are a lot of RBL lists used on the
SMTP layer already, taking much work from SA.

Example: From 58k connects we denied 36k via RBL. 8620 messages arrived
finally, from which 244 were marked as SPAM, 30 viruses.

> Our
> amount of spam has increased DRAMATICALLY over the last 2-3 weeks,
> plus the processing times within the box are going skyward (even on
> the secondary box still running v2.63), so any advice is sincerely
> appreciated.

Do you believe this has to do with the upgrade? Or are there just more
messages arriving now?

If you have postfix, use sender_blacklist from William Stearns
( http://www.sa-blacklist.stearns.org/sa-blacklist ), RBL hosts
recommended by me are sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
dnsbl.njabl.org, bl.spamcop.net, relays.ordb.org. Everything you throw
away at SMTP level doesn't need to be checked by SA.

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11