R. Scott Baer wrote:
<snip>

> Bowie,
> Thanks for your reply... I made the modification, though I'm still
> getting the same errors in my log file.

Wait a second... Going back to your first post, the messages you were
complaining about were:

Oct 6 08:57:57 localhost spamd[3014]: Creating default_prefs
/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs]
Oct 6 08:57:57 localhost spamd[3014]: Cannot write to
/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs: Permission denied

This has *NOTHING* to do with bayes. Nothing at all!

This has to do with the fact that you started spamd with the -c option. If you
don't want spamd to create user_prefs files auto-magically, drop this
command-line option.

In general, it looks like "nobody" has a home directory that points to /root/.
When spamd setuid's to nobody (because you specified -u nobody), it has no
privileges to create the user_prefs file in root's home directory.

Really, I would strongly suggest creating a "spamd" user, and give it a home
directory, if you want to use user_prefs file.

Whatever you do, do NOT give "nobody" privileges to write to root's home
directory. You will severely degrade the security of your system if you do.