I get the following after creating the script, chmod +x ..

Starting SpamAssassin daemon: [16717] warn: Option r requires an argument
/etc/init.d/spamd: line 17: /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid: No such file or directory

Bowie Bailey wrote:
From: Jeffrey Duncan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I installed using cpan Mail::SpamAssassin as listed on SA site. It's working, but it won't start as a service.

neither service is listed in that directory.

I install the same way and I've got an /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd file to
do the startup.  It's possible I may have written it myself.

Try putting the file listed below into /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd (or
spamassassin, whichever you prefer).

Bowie

----------------------------

#!/bin/bash
# chkconfig: 2345 30 70
# Startup file for spamd
#

export LC_ALL=C

# source function library
. /etc/init.d/functions

RETVAL=0

start() {
        echo -n $"Starting SpamAssassin daemon: "
        /usr/bin/spamd -d -m 8 --max-conn-per-child=50 -r
/var/run/spamd/spamd.pid
        echo
        return 0
}

stop() {
        echo -n $"Stopping SpamAssassin daemon: "
        kill `cat /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid`
        echo
        return 0
}

reload(){
        stop
        start
}

restart(){
        stop
        start
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  restart)
        restart
        ;;
  reload)
        reload
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload}"
        RETVAL=1
esac

exit $RETVAL