Robert,

> I noticed that Spamassassin checks outgoing email for spam. Can it be
> turned off? If so how? Would turning it off cause any issues?
>
> On SA 3.1 on Fedora Core 2.

Presumably since you're asking about this, you're probably running
sendmail and calling SA using a milter like spamass-milter.  It works fine
but as you say checks outgoing and incoming because sendmail calls the
milter for ALL messages.  it's up to the milter to figure out incoming vs
outgoing.

If you're using spamass-milter I have a patch that will prevent SA calls
on outgoing mail.

--
Dale Morin, Mustang Internet Services, Inc.
"Support Without Compromise"