List Mail User wrote on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:04:28 -0800 (PST):

> or a CNAME that refers to one of
> these

No. It clearly says a CNAME is not allowed for EHLO. You quote it just a few
lines above. We are talking mainly EHLO here.

> So we find it is actually not only *not* contained with RFC2821
> any requirement that the HELO/EHLO argument resolve to/match the client IP,
> but we find an explicit prohibition on refusing a transaction because of
> the lack of match.

On the contrary. That's exactly what it asks for. The key for understanding the
requirements here is "client identity".

If we rewrite it this way:

> So we find it is actually not only *not* contained with RFC2821
> any requirement that the HELO/EHLO argument match the reverse DNS record,
> but we find an explicit prohibition on refusing a transaction because of
> the lack of match.

it makes sense. I don't know if you wanted to say this.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany