From: Aaron Boyles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> attempt this, I always get the same thing in response:  "Can't find server
> name for address 10.0.0.1" which is our gateway.

It's a bug in nslookup.  nslookup expects the DNS server to be authoritive
for its own reverse address and blows up if isn't.  The BIND developers know
about this and have no plans to fix.  They believe that nslookup is and
always was a poor tool and you should use dig or host instead.  Most folks
who shell out to a program respond that the BIND developers should quit
changing the output format of dig and host.

The correct answer would be not to shell out to a tool, but use the tools of
your development environment to do the DNS lookup - Net::DNS for Perl,
gethostbyname() in others.