Here is some debugging info from MailScanner.

Starting MailScanner...
In Debugging mode, not forking...
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? no
debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: use_razor1 0
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 978.
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 980.
debug: read_scoreonly_config: cannot open "": No such file or directory

[SNIP]

/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm line
329.
configuration file "/usr/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf" requires
version 3.001000 of SpamAssassin, but this is code version 3.000001. Maybe
you need to use the -C switch, or remove the old config files? Skipping this
file at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm line
329.
configuration file "/usr/share/spamassassin/20_drugs.cf" requires version
3.001000 of SpamAssassin, but this is code version 3.000001. Maybe you need
to use the -C switch, or remove the old config files? Skipping this file at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm line
329.
[Snip]

########
The parser/version errors are numerous and indicate SpamAssassin 3.0 is
being called. Odd.
########

More debug...
debug: bayes: 19802 tie-ing to DB file R/O
/extra/system/spamassassin/autoDB/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 19802 tie-ing to DB file R/O
/extra/system/spamassassin/autoDB/bayes_seen
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: Score set 3 chosen.
[Snip]

So it looks like it is finding bayes. And scoring with it, but maybe its
that it can't read the scoring from the cf files in /usr/share/spamassassin
because a version conflict.

Yes, going through the the log again I found that the bayes_cf file could
not be parsed because an older version of spamassassin is at work.
Presumably this is what no scores from Bayes are being used:

configuration file "/usr/share/spamassassin/23_bayes.cf" requires version
3.001000 of SpamAssassin, but this is code version 3.000001. Maybe you need
to use the -C switch, or remove the old config files? Skipping this file at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm line
329.

I installed it with make, make install, so assuming that is part of the
problem, I am going to try upgrading with CPAN and see if that resolves the
issue.

John