analyzer wrote:
Package: libnet-dns-perl
Versions:
0.19-0.1(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.tiscali.de_pub_debian_debian_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages)(/var/lib/dpkg/status)

That isn't what we want, and it doesn't look like Debian woody offers a suitable version, so we'll do
everything via CPAN.

The Output from cpan> test Net::DNS
http://cpp.sourceforge.net/?show=11192

So your CPAN is trying to test version 0.55 but is not able to install it, due to problems with one resolver
test and several online tests. See below for suggestions...

Output from spamassassin -D:
[29218] dbg: logger: adding facilities: all
[29218] dbg: logger: logging level is DBG
[29218] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.1.0
[29218] dbg: config: score set 0 chosen.
[29218] dbg: util: running in taint mode? yes
[29218] dbg: util: taint mode: deleting unsafe environment variables, resetting PATH
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/usr/local/sbin', keeping
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/usr/local/bin', keeping
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/sbin', keeping
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/bin', keeping
[29218] dbg: util: PATH included '/usr/bin/X11', which doesn't exist, dropping [29218] dbg: util: final PATH set to: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
[29218] dbg: dns: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
[29218] dbg: dns: Net::DNS version: 0.12
[29218] dbg: dns: name server: 66.28.0.45, family: 2, ipv6: 0
Here stopped the output. I dont' know why.

Well, since it requires at least Net::DNS 0.34, and has either 0.12 or 0.19 depending on where
it's looking, I'm guessing it cannot use DNS.

Output from spamassassin -D --lint:
http://cpp.sourceforge.net/?show=11197

The good news is that this looks very close to working. The only problems I see are Net::DNS (which is serious), ident (which is not), pyzor, which is optional, razor likewise, and bayes, which can wait until the rest is working.

Let's start by installing the newest version of CPAN, so we're not working with outdated code.

# perl -MCPAN -e shell
> install Bundle::CPAN
> reload cpan

Then try reinstalling Net::DNS, preceded by the relevant IPv6 support

> install Socket6
> install IO::Socket::INET6 (you may have to force this if you do not use IPv6)
> install Net::DNS

If this does not succeed, stop. Review any errors and attempt to correct them before proceeding. There is no point going on until Net::DNS is fixed. If CPAN still thinks it has the current version then 'force install Net::DNS', but this should not be necessary and is not particularly desirable.

When Net::DNS 0.55 is installed, retest with 'spamassassin -D lint' and let's see if we've solved the DNS issue. When and *only* when that works, we can look at improving upon it, as follows:

Ident - this is only relevant if you wish to run spamd with the --auth-ident flag (unlikely, and depends on running identd, which most systems don't). Unless you need it, forget about it.

Razor - the perl module is supplied by the razor-agents package which needs to be at least version 2.40 and preferably version 2.67 or newer. Check this with 'razor-client -v'. If the version offered by apt-get is inadequate, then install Razor from source. http://razor.sourceforge.net/

Pyzor - this just needs to be installed. Again, if apt offers a very outdated version, it may be better to
do this from source. http://pyzor.sourceforge.net/

DCC - same story as pyzor, there may be advantages to doing this from source. Equally, apt *ought*
to work, but your mileage may vary. http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/

RulesDuJour - a matter of personal taste, but I recommend it.
http://www.exit0.us/index.php?pagename=RulesDuJour

By the time you have quite finished, you should have a fully updated SpamAssassin installation with just about all the available trimmings. Sorry to see you're having so much difficulty in getting it set up, but it is
well worth the effort to use up-to-date software.

Speaking of which, you should also try 'sa-update -D' to make sure that the update script works correctly, On my system (debian sarge), which is not set up to use IPv6, I had to 'force install IO::Socket::INET6' for this to work. After that, you can add both this command and RulesDuJour to your crontab, to keep spamassassin up to date. Then it's ready for integration with your mail system.

Hope that helps,

Keith