Chris Santerre writes:

> Hah! Am I reading that right? Translate English to English! I give them 1
> point for coming up with that one.

OT, but I recall reading that there are at least two "English to English"
translation books published. Guides for people who've learned English and
are having problems when what is said doesn't match the intended meaning.

Only recall one example. The phrase "I hear you".

To somebody who's learned English that means, "I understand your point
and grant that it may be valid"

Where the intended meaning is, "I don't want to talk about this any
longer"

Mentioned in the Economist. Wish I'd saved the article.