At 07:38 AM 1/8/2006, Obantec Support wrote:
Hi

lately i am seeing a few blank emails either 0Kb or 1Kb size. No body or
subject.

SA 3.0.0 header

 MISSING_SUBJECT,MSGID_FROM_MTA_ID autolearn=no version=3.0.0

Wow.. You've got 3.0.0 running without crashing? or is it some distro-backport with the memory usage fixes from 3.0.1?

anyone else getting these?

I haven't seen any recently, but they're really common. These are usually broken emails generated by viruses, although sometimes they're from broken spam tools.

You could probably jack up the score of MISSING_SUBJECT a little bit.

Admittedly this rule got a S/O of 0.974 on the mass-checks for 3.1.0, but realistically I wonder what valid nonspam email really hit MISSING_SUBJECT. I can see an empty subject being common, but no subject header at all? I can't see any end-user MUA doing that, and I can't see any legit commercial mailer generating that. I strongly suspect the 2.6% of the hits which were in the nonspam pool are garbled viruses, broken scripts and other garbage not worth saving.