From: Matt Kettler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:16 PM
To: Robert Bartlett
Cc: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: AWL and Auto Learn Bayes

Robert Bartlett wrote:
> Need to upgrade heh? I installed it from source and am very weary of
> doing any updates as it's a "production" server. But I guess I don't
> have a chance. Any documents out there you suggest reading on steps to
upgrade it?

Being a production box, I'd suggest doing an upgrade to 3.0.5 instead of
3.1.0.

 This will fix the significant problems, but doesn't change any
configuration options, requirements or APIs.. it's just a basic maintenance
release, and in theory should go very smoothly with no hitches.

Upgrading to 3.1.0 could be more work as some config items changed in the
process.

You can get 3.0.5 from the archive:

http://archive.apache.org/dist/spamassassin/

You should be able to go through a normal procedure for installing SA to do
the upgrade and you shouldn't need to change any configuration.

Just untar it,
        perl Makefile.PL
        make
        make install

Should be quite painless.

The only problem I've heard with the 3.0.5 release is those who use rpmbuild
to make custom RPMs from it have to fix the spec file (because they missed
updating the tarball name in the specfile). However, if you're just
installing from source this isn't relevant.