On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] stipulated:
> From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> I run SA 3.1 on a home system which gets about 200 - 250 msgs a day, the
>> majority being spam of course.  I have 768mb of ram with
>> a swap of 612mb, an AMD Sempron 1.6GHz processor.  This is how spamd is
>> started from the /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamassassin script:
>> OPTIONS="-d -c -H -m 2 --max-conn-per-child=100 --min-children=2"
>> Does this look like an optimum setting or can it be tweaked better?
>
> For 3.0x this is not right. But 3.1 may have added --min-children.
> I'd use --max-children=2 anyway. You absolutely positively do not
> want to run into swapping. If you have anything else running, like
> an X session, you're toast with more than a couple children. Besides,

He's got *768Mb of RAM*. You can run five children and be doing other
things with no danger of swapping on a box with that much RAM. (I
have one with 512Mb running five children and X and much else with
no difficulty at all.)

> for 200 - 250 messages a day you probably don't really need more than
> one child floating around at any given time.

The relevant factor here is the *burstiness*. If the mails arrive in
bursts (as they often do on home systems, fetchmailing down from a POP3
server somewhere), then you'll want enough --max-children to cope with
the largest burst of simultaneously-arriving emails you're likely to
encounter, except if that many children would cause swapping. The extra
children will die as soon as their job is done in any case, so you can
forget about the --max-conn-per-child in most cases too.

The --min-children is almost certainly a waste of effort: let spamd
kill children that aren't doing anything. It takes almost no time to
kick off new children anyway.

--
`Logic and human nature don't seem to mix very well,
 unfortunately.' --- Velvet Wood