Hello Gary,

Just a quick reply - I looked in /var/log/mail.log and spotted the
following line that came up loads in the log file:

Jan 31 17:48:12 destiny spamd[15602]: prefork: syswrite(6) failed,
retrying... at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/SpamdForkScaling.pm line
554.

This might be my problem?

To answer most of your questions:

> Does your system reject mail to invalid users so spamassassin does not get
> pounded by dictionary attacks?

Should do:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/log$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 destiny.biased.org ESMTP Exim 4.50 Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:52:16 +0000
HELO destiny
250 destiny.biased.org Hello piers at localhost [127.0.0.1]
MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 OK
RCPT TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
550 unknown user
quit
221 destiny.biased.org closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/log$

> Maybe you are dealing with Bayes and AWL file locking issues. When the
> system slows to a crawl, I would debug a test message to get an idea where
> the system is slow.
> spamassassin -tD < message

Tried that, loads of messages went up, but no error as I can see.  Seems
to do the job quickly:

real    0m11.565s
user    0m6.594s
sys     0m0.481s

> If you have a site-wide Bayes database, run this as the user that writes
> it.
>
> Try turning off bayes and awl in local.cf and see if that solves the
> problem.
> If it does, consider moving bayes to SQL, or at least see if:
> lock_method flock
> is appropriate in your case.
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#miscellaneous_options

Will do this when I get your next reply.  I don't think I have an bayes
database?

> If you are not running a local DNS cache, you might consider it. I use
> bind9
> and it works great, reduces RBL lookup times considerably. Here is a good
> guide to getting it installed on Debian:
> http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_debian_sarge/index.php
> then simply set nameserver = my.ip.add.ress in /etc/resolv.conf

Already have a DNS server.

> Are you running one site-wide bayes database, or individual?

How do I find out?

Thanks so much for your help again, much appreciated!

Cheers - Piers