Matt Kettler wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:29:36AM -0500, Matt Kettler wrote:
>>> However, looking in the config files, HASHCASH rules have the userconf flag.
>>> This means that the Autolearner will also ignore these rules too, as SA will
>>> treat it as a user configured whitelist.
>>>

>>> So, this message had an autolearner score of +0.135 from the
>>> FORGED_RCVD_HELO.
>> Ahh, so hashcash scores don't actually count towards learning. Should
>> maybe be changed...?
>
> I'm not entirely sure.. Part of me thinks it's a good idea to not count it,
> since it does effectively behave a bit like a user-configured whitelist.

Also, let's face it.. Hashcash is almost completely unused, so this is a lot of
worry over something very rare.

Since 1/1/2006 I have received mail with hashcash signatures from exactly 5
persons. Only 2 of those persons sent mail directly to me and had hashcash
signatures for my address.

Summary of persons who have used hashcash posting to lists: (names and public
list they were on only, don't want to re-post people's email addresses on lists
they don't subscribe to)

Alex B. (uribl-discuss)
John D. (uribl-discuss)
Andrew D. (sa-talk)
Jim N. (sa-talk)
rogelio a. (dansguardian)

Direct to me:
Andrew D.
Jim N.

Both of the above were sending emails regarding sa-talk postings.

Since the only people who sent me emails with hashcash for my address were
discussing spamassassin, it would have been counterproductive for me to use
hashcash in autolearning.

Since SA discussions often contain spam quotes, it's best not to intentionally
take steps that will learn such messages as ham. The benefit you get from
learning it will ultimately be counter-balanced by the mis-learning of the
occasional spam quote.