I am running spamd/spamc and have spamc launching with "-t
55". Yet I'm finding that scans are taking as long as 798
seconds to complete, not alot of them but the question is
why isn't it timing out?

Any suggestions on what to look for?

spamc -t only controls the timeout of the spamc client. spamd continues to process the message.

Scan times of 798 seconds are probably a result of a bayes expiry. If auto expiry is enabled (default) I'd disable it and run a manually expiry as a cron job.

So that raises the question: Is there a way to tell spamd to timeout if it's taking too long to process a message?