Of course under Windows a .pl may well be linked to perl and therefore be executable without having to do a chmod (which of course Windows doesn't understand). However, in general I have no problem with either in-lining or attaching script code.

Executables, on the other hand are a different story. For one, I and, I expect others, have software running (like mimedefang) that will reject attached executables. If one really needs to post an executable it would, IMHO, be better to do so via a web page.

As I use Linux I don't have much of a problem with attached .exe or .com files etc. I NEVER read my mail on any of my Windows machines, and I restrict my web browsing to only very well trusted sites and then only when I can't use Linux or Firefox because the sites are so Windows only designed.