Dallas,

   It does on Solaris.  Doesn't do anything other to see if their is a
matching entry in both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and it checks to see
if the user is still able to log in. Linux should actually do the same
thing, but Solaris PAM and Linux PAM do operate differently.

Pete

----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Providing Network and Systems Project Management and Installation and
Web Hosting.
Phone: 919-618-2557
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
            First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!