I'm having similar results here.  As others have mentioned, the SARE stock
rules do help somewhat, but it's by no means the proverbial "silver bullet".
As someone else also mentioned, it helps to increase the HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_XX
rules.  I increased 12,16,20, and 24 by one point each.  However, that still
doesn't nail all of them.  I have seen some come through without even hitting
any HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_XX rules.

It seems to me that with these image-only spams, spammers may have finally
stumbled onto a pretty good weapon to counter SA, and to defeat Bayes.  With
broadband connections being dirt cheap these days, and with all the zombie
nets at their disposal, spammers can now blast out large spams in a short
amount of time, without causing much drain on their own network resources.
I'm getting image-only spam with attachments ranging in size from about 12K to
70K.

I'll bet it's only a matter of time before we start seeing spam larger than
256K, which I believe is the threshold that most people use to determine
whether to send a message to SA for scanning or not.  We'll probably all be
bumping up that threshold at some point.  :(

Craig