On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:01:01PM +0100, Cedric Foll wrote:
> sa-learn by default install rules in
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org/.
> I wonder why it doesn't copy them in /usr/share/spamassassin/ ?
> Is it for safety reason (ie avoid automaticly use of new rules).

sa-learn doesn't install any rules.  Perhaps you mean sa-update?  There's
several reasons, but they generally all come down to two things.  First,
/usr/share/spamassassin is the location for SpamAssassin releases to put
the rules and related files, but sa-update isn't a SpamAssassin release
so it puts the files elsewhere.  Second, it was generally felt that /var
was the correct place to put updates, following things like the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html).

> Are we supposed to do a
> "cp /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org/
> /usr/share/spamassassin/" after update ?

Nope.  Once the files are installed in the /var/lib area, you're fine.
When you next run "spamassassin" (or restart spamd, etc,) it will use
the new rule files.

> /var/lib seem to be the content of the "__local_state_dir__".
> What's that ?

Sort of, local_state_dir is /var/lib which turns into
/var/lib/spamassassin/version internally.  As for what it is ... the
local state dir is the directory where updates go. ;)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Hoping the problem magically goes away by ignoring it is the 'Microsoft