Correct me if I'm wrong, but would a rule like the following one of mine not
do the trick regardless of how the MTA writes the Received header, and be
less prone (actually not prone at all) to spoofing?

header    JF_NO_PTR    X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted =~ /^\[ ip=[^ ]* rdns= helo=/
describe    JF_NO_PTR    No reverse lookup for sender IP in
X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted
score    JF_NO_PTR    0.5

It's simply searching for a blank "rdns=" string (without quotes of course)
in the X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted pseudoheader. It should only search the very
first line in this pseudoheader, ie. the one that relates to the most recent
untrusted relay as per http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustedRelays.

I'm guessing, from what I've learnt at
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustedRelays, that a blank "rdns="
string, ie. followed directly by a space, indicates a lack of a PTR record?

The reason why I think this would be better than searching within the
Received header, is that in theory the info in an older Received header
could be spoofed by the spammer so that it includes the name of your MTA.
Perhaps this is unlikely, I dunno, but at least using
X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted means you don't have that risk at all, right??!

Can anyone see any exceptions or issues with doing it this way?

Cheers,
Jeremy

"Matthias Fuhrmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]