Philip Prindeville wrote:
Matt Kettler wrote:

It would be viable, but in my experience completely unnecessary. I have VERY
good results with this system and very few misses or miscategorizations.

I'm seeing a higher rate of connections from sites that aren't
in that database.

- these people want money. if you want higher level service, you should pay for it.

- if splitting the db and the module that uses it, you'll have to manage db format changes. While this is only theoritical, one should cope with it. Some linux distros are known for their patch-it-now practices that result in serious problems later.

- In any case, this is packaging issue. it suffices to split the package into a -dev and -data parts, and make the -dev depend on the -data part. but as said above, this may create problems.

so, use a cron to update the db if you really want.