Dave Stern wrote:

As to the format  spamc -d 1.2.3.4,10 2.3.4.5,10
That was from a google search. I believe that allows you to specify timeouts
per host rather than a more universal "-t".

I'm not aware of that being valid.

In any case, anything beyond a single host would either not fail to the second host (regardless of the syntax I used, ie I tried what you mentioned)
or I would not see *any* spamassassin headers at all despite the procmail
logs saying it ran spamc.

If you're using procmail, the most robust way to do fall back is to call spamc once against your first spamd host, and then call spamc a second time, if necessary, against the second spamd host.

Since spamc will only fallback if it fails to connect to something listening on the target host, it won't fallback as you want in any other event, like a timeout.

Part of your problem is expecting that all messages will be done in 10 seconds. If using any network tests, like Razor, DCC, etc, or even some of the slower DNSBLs, many messages will take longer than 10 seconds.

If you're using bayes auto expiry (default on) even more will take more than 10 seconds.

Daryl