On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Patrick Sherrill wrote:

What is the best way to send spam candidates from Outlook and Outlook Express to spamassassin for learning?

Here, I have a generic spam address on my border servers running SA.

For the users, I have them set up a rule to send tagged spam to that account (it's aliased from a base address, so if the backend ever changes, it's a simple edit to the alias, and all is well again), and then I run a nightly script to process the spam mailbox for auto-learning. I also have the same setup for ham, in case anyone gets an FP, or just wants to help train SA for "good mail".

Currently, I'm averaging slightly over 4,000 messages per night that end up in the spam mailbox, less than 10 in the ham mailbox. Some of it is auto-redirected by some of the customer servers, the rest is being fed in by customers through this process.

Works quite well, as the FP rate is next to nil here, so we don't worry too much about mis-training SA. As part of the script I archive the nightly mailboxes, so if a user encounters an FP, it can easily be re-processed as ham if needed. This also helps if I need to bring up a new border server, I can run all the archived mailboxes into it to train it so that it gets up to speed much quicker.

If you'd like more info, including a copy of my nightly scripts, let me know.

-Gary

TIA.
Pat...