> to read this in other words: while certain analysts (and definitlely
microsoft marketing)
> claim that about 50 % of all servers is running windows, these figures
tend to say that
> real mail servers (those that deliver the ham part of mail) rarely ever
run XP
> but that this OS is the best candidate for creating a spam zombie

Not completely unreasonable.  XP is targeted within MS as a personal or very
small company OS.  The equivalent of a linux/unix system used by more than a
single person would typically be some version of Server 2003.  Which was
probably identified in the stats as Windows 2000.

I'd like to venture the suggestion that the percentage of spam from XP isn't
necessarily an indication of inherent buggyness.  It is more an indication
that it is an OS for Clueless Noobs who haven't a clue about maintaining a
system, avoiding a virus, or even able to tell if they have a viruis.  Thes
are the machines that turn into zombies.

If there were as many linux machines in the hands of Clueless Noobs, I'd bet
that the number of infected linux systems would be in the similar percentage
range.  Remember, these XP systems are virtually all run with Administrator
(aka root) privs all the time, by people that haven't a clue what that
means.  What would happen if all linux-like systems ran that way?)

        Loren