mouss wrote:

>>  and I've got plenty of users that speak
>

>>multiple languages, not all of which use plain-ascii.
>>

>I guess so. now I'm not sure our situation isn't worst because people
>tried to find non standard solutions that are still used. I still
>remember the days when some customers were asking us to "fix" our
>software because "it broke their accents"... hopefully these times are
>gone, but I still see "broken" mail (much more than I should). actually,
>I also see mail that doesn't get rendered correctly on thunderbird. so
>I'll admit that the issue isn't really about accented chars...

This is a real sore point for me.  I worked on the Mime quoted-printable
encoding
14 years ago, and in some ways we haven't come nearly as far as we
should have
(see my posts as [EMAIL PROTECTED] when I was at France Telecom).

A lot of it has to do with idiots like Microsoft pushing competing
standards (like
Windows-1251) that offer no advantage whatsoever over their established
standards (like ISO Latin-1) and serve only to increase the exponential
problem
of interoperability matrices... the number of ways each agent must be tested
against other agents, etc...  thereby guaranteeing that complete testing
of all
possible permutations becomes an unattainable goal receding ever more
quickly
towards the horizon....

Where we could have been smart and limited ourselves to a manageable and
very finite set of permutations instead...

This is why our site has the following rule:

# don't allow windows-125x text attachments...
mimeheader __CTYPE_MH_WIN1252   Content-Type =~
/charset=\"windows-125[0-8]\"/i
meta L_WIN_CHARSET              ((__CTYPE_MH_HTML ||
__CTYPE_MH_TEXT_PLAIN) && __CTYPE_MH_WIN1252)
describe L_WIN_CHARSET          Content-Type is Windows-specific text
score L_WIN_CHARSET             0.1

should probably do the same for non-MIME content, but it's not as much of a
problem since Outlook prefers MIME content.

If anyone wants to talk to us, they can stick with ISO Latin-1.  We
don't need no stinkin'
Windows-125x...  (or -839 for that matter).

-Philip