I think there's some kind of conflict between sa-update and
RulesDuJour that has borked my spamassassin installation, but I can't
figure out how.

This morning after RDJ restarted spamd, spamc started returning
messages with ONLY the spamassassin version header added, not the
score report.  Running "spamc -R" by hand, I found that spamd was
returning "no report template found".

So I ran "spamassassin -D" and discovered that the SARE rules are
being loaded out of /etc/mail/spamassassin, but none of the default
rules are being loaded.

[24302] dbg: config: using "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001" for sys
rules pre files
[24302] dbg: config: using "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001" for
default rules dir

What?  The default rules dir is supposed to be
/usr/share/spamassassin/.  That's where it was before the restart this
morning.  I've moved the SARE rulesets out of the way, grepped for
/var/lib in all the config files that the dbg log says are being
loaded, run SA as two different users, etc., and I can't find anything
that's changing the default rules directory.  There's nothing in
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001 except the sa-update subdirectories
with a single MIRRORED.BY file in one of those, so no wonder I'm not
getting any rules loaded.

What the heck is going on here?  Where am I failing to look?