Jonathan Armitage wrote:

>I see some spam with "windows-1252" or other unwanted character sets at
>the start of the subject. I reject them via an Exim ACL, so SA doesn't
>even have to scan them.

Which brings up the subject...  How legitimate is email sent as
windows-1252?

I see absolutely no reason to send it, since it offers no advantage over
iso-8859-1
or utf-8, and the RFC's are pretty clear about using the "smallest"
encoding that
will fit a message, i.e. usascii => iso-8859-1 => utf-8 (in that order).

Further, if you're in the Unix world (or more broadly, not in the
Windows world),
why would you want to use vendor-specific encodings for no reason other than
they're the broken defaults Microsoft chose to use?

-Philip