John D. Hardin wrote:
> Re:  http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1342
>
> (1) Are there any rules currently in SA or SARE that will trigger on
> encoded characters in the hostname part of a URL?
>
> (2) Does the URL extractor for SURBL checks properly deal with
> URL-encoded hostnames?

Yes, SA in general deals with most forms of URI encoding.

The surbl checks are not confused by the use of ".%63%6f%6d" instead of ".com".
The general SA architecture decodes these long before the surbl rules see it.

I also don't understand why this is a new thing to the ISC handler's diary.
Spammers have been using that trick for a LOOOOOONG time. It's more common in
phishing than spam, but it's still common in both.