Hi Christoph,

Christoph Reichenberger wrote:
Hi Anthony,
I order not to swamp the list with my beginner questions too much
(thanks again BTW, that you take the time for your answers), I am
writing directly to you.

Please don't do that. I occasionally reply to list emails, I don't provide one to one support. You will get much better answers that way, as more people will be able to offer advice, and if I get an answer wrong, someone will be likely to correct my reply. On top of that all list traffic is archived, so any discussions we have on the list may help someone else in the future.

I have replied to the list for this message.

It seems that I have a pretty standard installation.
When looking to your results file, I see that you are using many
rules, that my configuration is probably missing.
How do I enable mangled and other rules you are running (URIBL_*)
and spamcop?
Would it be better to have spamcop as a SA-rule or to enable the
check in the MTA ?

What OS are you running on?

I don't know CommuniGate Pro so the following comments are assuming a standard installation on a Linux flavour.

To enable the mangled.cf rules, go to the RulesEmporium web site and download the file and place it in your local SpamAssassin directory, on my system this is /etc/mail/spamassassin then run spamassassin --lint from the command line to make sure there are no errors. Depending on how you call SpamAssassin you may need to restart CommuniGate Pro or spamd.

Mangled.cf =>  http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/mangled.cf

RulesEmporium => http://www.rulesemporium.com/

Have a look at the other rules on the Rules Emporium web site, the ones I use are:

70_sare_adult.cf
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf
70_sare_evilnum0.cf
70_sare_header0.cf
70_sare_html0.cf
70_sare_obfu0.cf
70_sare_random.cf
70_sare_specific.cf
70_sare_stocks.cf
99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf
chickenpox.cf
mangled.cf
weeds_2.cf

Read the descriptions on the web site and make your own decision about their usefulness to you.

To enable the URL blacklits look in the init.pre or v310.pre files in the same directory and make sure that the following line is uncommented:

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL

I don't use SpamCop so can't comment about that. But I don't generally switch on RBLs at the MTA level. I am not happy trusting a RBL completely to block at the MTA level, I like the fact that SA allows me to build a fuller picture with a number of indicators, and that I can check the Junk Folder to weed out any false positives. Having said that my mail server is fairly low volume (~3,000 msgs per day), blocking at the MTA would reduce the amount of resources scanning takes up on the server.

The SA documentation said that special rules would not be necessary,
so I tried to just start with the standard configuration.

SA out of the box does a very good job. But everybodies mail feed and concept of ham/spam is different so some tweaking will be neccessary to get the absolutely best results for any particular local configuration.

When I first set up SA I used the basic rule set and manually trained the Bayes database. This worked really well hitting about 85% of spam correctly. With some tweaking and the addition of SARE rules I now run at 99%+.

I also reset the bayes files and turned autolearn off for now.

Manually train your Bayes with at least 200 sample ham and 200 sample spam messages. Your Bayes wasn't even working for that last email. My Bayes works really well at the moment. Once you have the Bayes system working well manually you can then turn on auto-learning, but change the auto-learning thresholds to something like:

bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam -0.1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 12.0

You can add these lines into a file called local.cf found in the /etc/mail/spamassassin directory.

Also you could do a lot worse than have a look at the wiki:

Also you

Remember, all of the advise about files and directory assumes a standard SpamAssassin install. Your installation may be slightly different.

How would you recommend to continue now?

Thanks a lot

christoph