Justin Cook wrote:
Oops.

I'm a bit of a novice user and I'm setting up SA under Postfix for the first time.

Mail sent while SpamAssassin is running delivers fine, but anything inbound (or mail sent to a local address from a local IP) fails with a "max hops reached" error. It turns out Spamassassin is calling postfix's Sendmail bin, which calls spamassassin, and so on.

What should I be looking for here?

Cheers!

Had the same problem. My error was using sendmail.sendmail and not sendmail.postfix. Using sendmail.postfix solved the problem. Check which version of "sendmail" you are using.