On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> =>> Is it worthwhile to try to convince the SA dev
> =>> crowd to add greylist functionality?

> Neither. What I'm looking for is a rubust way to say: "I haven't
> seen mail from this guy before so I'm going to reject his email
> with a 450 error code. If email from him tries for delivery after
> (let's say) four hours, then I will accept it and nevermore will
> this guy have a delay in sending me mail."

That's the common definition of "greylisting".

I think the suggestion to add it to SA misses a basic fact: the
mail has *already been received in its entirety* by the time SA gets a
chance to see it. What's the point in greylisting then?

Proper greylisting is done early in the SMTP exchange, at the point
the DATA command is sent and the sender and recipients are known but
before the message itself has been received. I use milter-greylist to
do this and it works well.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a [EMAIL PROTECTED]