From: "Rick Macdougall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

jdow wrote:
From: "Jonas Eckerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Logan Shaw wrote:

Basically, greylisting has an achilles heel:  legit messages
from unknown senders are delayed a long time.  This is fine for

Only if you use a long delay.

In my experience a grey period of 3 minutes is enough to stop most spam and viruses. Especially if you combine it with some anti-dictionary stuff.

<<jdow>> There are indications that this is no longer the case. The
spams apparently come in repeated bursts of four or five about 5
minutes apart. Since it is common for spam to use the same header
values except sometimes "To:" for all messages sent this trips up
greylisting. I ran across a fellow on the FC users list (I believe
it was) that remarked about seeing this and it defeating his greylist.

{^_^}

Hi jdow,

Haven't seen that here. I used to get 300+ spam a day (dns, postmaster, abuse, my own 10+ year email address) and with greylisting I now get 1 - 3 spams a week, usually 419 spams from free account sites. Most, if not all, the spam that does get through is marked up by SA and learned as spam.

Oh, and I use a 1 minute greylist time.

I believe he was an ISP sort of person from the numbers he cited. I
personally get about 150 to 300 spams a day depending on who was
incarcerated or successfully sued last. I usually figure 250. And
depending on list activity I get 500 to 1500 total messages a day.
Fetchmail does not allow greylisting. But good rules and SpamAssassin
have left me with 10 or 11 spams that got away in the last couple
months. None of them will repeat. (Um, none of them was an image
spam, either.) Make that three in the last few weeks. Even Bayes
tags the image spams these days.

{^_^}