> > On 6/24/2006 11:14 AM, Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:
> > > How do I debug the SPF Module during SA Operations?
> > >
> > > I have had another email marked as SPF_SOFTFAIL during the
> > first receipt and
> > > the From domain does not have a TXT SPF record.  When I
> > isolated the message
> > > and ran it again, it was processed without any errors.
> > >
> > > I suspect that there is a problem with the timeout routines in
> > > Mail::SPF::Query and Mail::Spamassassin::Plugin::SPF.  When
> > I increased the
> > > spf_timeout to 15, I did not have any false positives.
> >
> > 5 seconds is a long time to do the DNS queries for just an
> SPF check.
> > Any time the timeout is exceeded we explicitly treat this as
> > a SOFTFAIL.
> >   Perhaps we'd be better off just having no result at all.
>
> Considering that SOFTFAIL has a score, I recommend that a SPF
> timeout be
> something other than SOFTFAIL, probably the same as none.  It
> needs it's own
> comment too.  Users need to know what happened.

I changed lines 318-319 in SPF.pm to:

  $result ||= 'error';          # changed from softfail to error - jwh
6/24/06
  $comment ||= 'lookup failed'; # added comment for error - jwh 6/24/06

Here is the result for my test file with the timeout set to the default of 5
seconds:

[25710] dbg: spf: checking EnvelopeFrom (helo=BABY, ip=125.214.61.195,
[EMAIL PROTECTED])
|         relmaxtop.com new: ipv4=125.214.61.195,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], helo=BABY
|        marileestewart relmaxtop.com localpart is marileestewart
||       marileestewart relmaxtop.com   DirectiveSet->new(): doing TXT query
on relmaxtop.com
||       marileestewart relmaxtop.com   myquery: doing TXT query on
relmaxtop.com
[25710] dbg: spf: query for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/125.214.61.195/BABY: result: error, comment:
lookup failed

It works for me.

Jim