update-

  after readng more docs ;-)
I have verified that SA is active and reachable from
my acct. using SA < sampleMsg.txt. Debug shows that
the Bayes filter is not being used, because
debug: cannot use bayes on this message; db not
initialised yet

I just db_dump'd and db_loaded bayes_toks, same error.

However, the result _is_ scored and marked.
Razor2 is found, apparently.
pyzor is not found, apparently.

my user_prefs is working, 'cause my lowered score to 4
is acknowledged.

spamassassin --lint comes back clear [no output]

aside from fixing the bayes and pyzor, what I really
want to do is just have the thing run at all. For
that, the theory of operation would be helpful (newb
warning)

 So I have a file in /var/mail/xxxuser. It is rw for
owner and group. I want to run the SA filter on it,
periodically. Whatever is set up now, is not working.
spamd has something to do with this...

How to proceed ?  thanks in advance
   -brian