I want to propose and idea that I've been testing with some success. But there are plenty of people who are a lot sharper than I am that can implement it better. Here's what I'm thinking.

We are all familiar with DNS blacklists to block spam. But what about lists of other servers? What about white lists servers that never send spam. Or - a new term, Yellow list, servers that send mostly nonspam but send some spam. These ar servers that should never be blacklisted.

Spammers can fake a lot of things but that can't fake the host they are sending from. So - the way I see it, there are 3 kinds of hosts.

1) Blacklist - host that send only spam
2) Whitelist - hosts that never send spam.
3) Yellowlist - Hosts that have some spam sneak through but should never be blacklisted. gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc are examples.

The problem with blacklists is false positives. If not for that we could use them more to block spam. So - with white and yellow lists we can check then we can make sure that good servers are never blacklisted. That makes the blacklisting more accurate. The processing would go as follows:

1) Whitelisted servers can bypass spam filtering.
2) Yellow listed server would bypass blacklist testing.
3) Blacklisted servers are bounced without spam filtering
4) Yellow and Unlisted email is processed with Spam Assassin for spam testing
5) Statistical feedback on hosts to the various lists.

I've implemented a crude version of this model and it's working very well. By tracking ham I can make sure that hosts that send ham are never blacklisted. This has significantly increased the accuracy of my blacklists virtually eliminating false positives. So - I'm looking to bring together some of the great minds here and let's build a system right that can be used to block spam and greatly reduce the server loads on SA by bypassing SA processing.

Who likes this idea?