From: "Matthias Fuhrmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, hansje2000 wrote:

I realy tryed evrything on her, but still thate permission errors.

i reinstal it for 5 times now..
read about 100 pages of spammassassin but nothing specialy about settingup
for ussers to find just little pieces.. and did not reale help me out there.

The user spambucket is present on my box.

did 100 times spamd -u spambucket
did 100 times spamc -u spambucket
did 100 times spamass-milter -u spambucket
And still have thate no permision error.

How can i prevent this on the hard way to run as spambucket?

Is there some other command

no, its all invoked by those commands above (spamd/spamc).
have alook in your init script /etc/init.d/spamassassin. the line which
executes spamd looks like:
spamd -u spambucket ...  ?

ensure spamd is runing as  user spambucket while listing processes using:
ps -ef | grep spamd

if so, have a look in your /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
did you defined things like:
bayes_path /home/spambucket/.spamassassin/bayes
auto_whitelist_path  /home/spambucket/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist

hope this helps a bit,

For one thing he never dropped spamd into the daemon mode. So it's
not running when he tries to run spamc, which makes the whole exercise
futile.

The simplest way to run spamd is to take its defaults and run it as
"spamd -d". Then it will be running in the background. Of course, to
stop it you need to send its process a SIGKILL. And there is a
possibility that by now he has something lurking in the background
that needs the SIGKILL treatment. Do all this as root. Don't get
fancy and run as something else until you have its basics working.

Once he has spamd running, one basic process and its children processes,
he can try spamc. I don't remember what it was he was trying to accomplish
with the -u spambucket. But if he wants to test as user spambucket and
the /home/spambucket directory is present then he can copy some sample
messages to "/home/spambucket" and run "su -l spambucket" to get into
that account. Now he can sit and run the simplest instance of spamc,
"spamc < testmessage1" to run spamc against test message 1. Once this
much is working he can study it and start making the changes he wants.

{^_^}