On 7/12/06, Marc Perkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Depends on what he's doing it might work.

He's writing procmail recipes.  He's a user on a hosted shell server,
not a sysadmin.  Strictly delivery-time header text analysis, no
MTA-level configuration games.

For example, anyone can do this trick. Set your highest MX record

I'm amused by your definition of "anyone."

(add a new one) to an IP address that doesn't exist.

We actually tried that (really, we set it to point to a virtual IP on
the same server that is the primary MX, so that one was only available
when the primary also was), and had a dummy port 25 listener on that
IP to 554 everything that connected.  It stopped about 1% of our spam;
when we had to change hardware we didn't bother bringing it along.  As
I recall it worked slightly better to make it the second MX rather
than the highest one.

We're wandering a bit off topic here, though.