> So  you think that viruses are going to know how to find and decrypt
> the passwords of all email programs?

Any  data  that  must  be  decrypted  without user intervention can be
accessed  in  its  unencrypted form without user intervention. If user
intervention  is  required  for decryption, well, you pretty much just
have to be there when it happens. These are fundamental rules. A virus
needs no "decryption" feature per se.

A sniffer can readily isolate plain-text passwords as they go over the
wire.  Alternately,  yep, specific memory inspection routines could be
built  for  "all  email  programs"  that  are  likely  to  be found on
compromised  machines  --  all,  what, 3 or 4 of them -- regardless of
what  happens  on  the  wire.  This part is child's play for a hacker,
relative  to  the  harder part of finding new attack vectors for those
boxes that are lucky enough to get disinfected and patched.

Marc,  I  have some respect for your optimism, a rare trait in a place
where  others  have  (themselves well-earned) chips on their shoulders
from  pushing  back  a surging, inarguably criminal element from their
networks  all  day.  I  also think that the accusations that you're an
agent  of  some government, enterprise, NGO, etc., are ludicrous based
on  the  fundamental  naïveté of your proposal (like the fact that you
suggested  an  enhancement  which  was already BTDT 8 years ago -- not
going  to get you a lot of followers on such a technical list). Yet: I
concur  that  you  don't  have  anywhere  near sufficient knowledge of
current,  let  alone  historical,  technologies  for  mail sending and
retrieval  to be suggesting... well, to be suggesting any enhancements
or improvements at all.

Look, it's okay to admit that you have to go "back to school" on those
subjects.  From  your bio, you have grounding in other technical areas
that many people here do not. I didn't know much about mail until 1999
or  so,  and  that was after supporting mail systems (along with other
systems  I actually understood) for, like, 6 years! But I also kept my
mouth  shut  until  1999.  Because  of  that experience, I find myself
agreeing  with  the  overall reaction of, in essence: "Kill me now, if
his  proposal  is  going  to be disseminated by any entity who doesn't
have enough techies on staff to shoot it down."

Please,  for  the  good of the world, take a couple of months to study
before your next proposal.

Warmly--

--Sandy