Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Will ISP's do anything? Are they doing anything now for outbound spam?

They will have to otherwise they will end up in a blacklist ;-)
Most of the ISP's here are already scanning on inbound spam, not too hard to
do it for outgoing then.
The ISP I use the most reacts quite fast on abuse. And they have already
used an automatically shutoff of clients in the time of virus outbreaks,
that traffic got detected and then all you could access was 1 page with an
explanation how to get connected again. That's doable too by counting the
amount of outgoing spam I think.

> BTW, are there any SMTP providers operating independent of ISP's, sorta
> like  independent newsgroup providers, so that one can use authenticated
> SMTP over the submission port to that provider instead of one's ISP?

Yes, the ones who I know about offer anti SPAM/virus services. We've used
cleanport for a while for that. It wasn't authenticated but firewalled, SMTP
was only opened up for certain IP-addresses of ours.

Regards
Menno