From: "Marc Perkel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chris Lear wrote:

What if I set up an SMTP server at home behind my ADSL router, collect my vanity-domain mail there, and access it via IMAP or POP3? It seems I only have one option, which is to send my mail via IMAP to my home server. Which then sends via SMTP to... the Internet (or via a smarthost). And the home server sending via SMTP is going to look a bit like a MUA sending via SMTP. How would you tell the difference? Is a home mail server outlawed in the brave new world? Or does my SMTP server have to learn to talk IMAP to make message submissions to the ISP's server?

Chris

Then it would be a server and talk SMTP. Servers still talk SMTP. I have a home SMTP server myself.

Yoohoo, Marc! What is the difference between a home SMTP server YOU
run and one that is included in malware that has turned your machine
into a Zombie?

It your specific network arrangement is to be supported then you are
allowing port 25 connections between your server and others. Thus you
have done absolutely nothing to reduce spam. You've only cost people
money changing their entire mail setups end to end.

{^_^}