On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Tony Finch wrote:
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Hamish Marson wrote:

The RFC's actually state that a domain MUST start with a letter, and
be any letter or digit or hyphen after. So according to the RFC's
purely numberic domains are illegal.

No! Wrong! Totally wrong! If they were illegal they would never have been
allocated. Duh.

RFC 1123 section 2.1:

   The syntax of a legal Internet host name was specified in RFC-952
   [DNS:4].  One aspect of host name syntax is hereby changed: the
   restriction on the first character is relaxed to allow either a
   letter or a digit.  Host software MUST support this more liberal
   syntax.

Ah, I thought I remembered something along those lines but
couldn't find the reference.

Also, for what it's worth, there are some legitimate businesses
that use domains beginning with a digit.  3Com, for instance.

  - Logan