> I've been running SA on 5.6.1, but I'm building a new FreeBSD box and its
> "prefered" version is 5.8.  I noticed that in the SA docs, it mentions
> performance problems with 5.8.
>
> FreeBSD has version 5.6.2 in ports, but I seem to recall that one
> shouldn't use perl versions that ended in even numbers,

6 is not an even number.

5.6.2 should probably be usable, if you don't have any specific requirements
(like the need for some newer or more unusual modules, or Encoder), although
the collective memory of its problems is fading, so you'd probably get
a better support in case of any problem if you stick to the lang/perl5.
Why bother with 5.6.2, when you can have 5.8.8 - it is the best we have for
now. Plenty of bugs fixes (including of course some introduced with 5.8.0 :)

  Mark