Hi,

This is to notify you about another SARE channel with the most used rules available as a single channel. If you're not the type to try every single rule in SARE and manually select them, you can instead use this single channel instead.

OpenProtect's Sa-update channel for SARE

Sa-update, as the linked page says is a way to download new rules from different places called channels.

We guys at OpenProtect have created a channel which contains the recommended rules in the SARE - SpamAssassin Rules Emporium. This way, rules can be updated easily using sa-update, which ships with SA versions above 3.0.

Steps to use our channel

Follow the steps below to have our channel working on your mail server or any computer with SA > 3.0 installed on it.

  • Have gnupg installed, if you wish to check the channel files against our signature.

  • Run the command gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys BDE9DC10 to import our public key from the mit keyserver. The output should look like:

    gpg: requesting key BDE9DC10 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
    gpg: key BDE9DC10: public key "Opencomputing Technologies (Key to sign all files from openprotect.com) " imported
    gpg: Total number processed: 1
    gpg: imported: 1

  • Now, copy the trusted public keys from root to SA by running the command cp -f /root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg /etc/spamassassin/sa-update-keys/pubring.gpg
  • Another way to import our public key is get the gpg file and import it manually using sa-update and gpg. The commands are wget http://saupdates.openprotect.com/pub.gpg.
    Now, import by running the command sa-update --import pub.gpg which should return without any error or output messages.
    This isn't the preferred way, as the gpg file could be corrupted or tampered with, if our server is hacked.

  • Now schedule daily downloads of rules from this channel using cron using the command sa-update --gpgkey D1C035168C1EBC08464946DA258CDB3ABDE9DC10 --channel saupdates.openprotect.com, where the 40 digit hex is our public key fingerprint and the channel is the URL from which to download the rules.
    The rules should be installed at /var/lib/spamassassin/ directory and SA will use all these rules by default.
  • If you don't have gpg or don't want to check against our signature, you can add the --nogpg option to the above sa-update command to skip gpg signature checks.

Note that only rules with high hit ratio and low false positives, like 70_sare_uri0.cf are used, instead of the 1,2,3 etc rules which have high FPs and don't hit on too many spam mails anyway. Rules are linted before entering the channel, so it's assured to work on any SA from 3.0.0 onwards to 3.1.4.

Let me know of any feedback that you might have about this channel.

cheers,
skar.
--
OpenProtect - The email virus/spam filter
http://openprotect.com