On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:06:59 -0400
"Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Josh Trutwin wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:16:51 -0400

> >> Unless you've got at least 600 or more MB of free RAM just for
> >> spamd's use, you've got too many children and are swap
> >> thrashing.  Back of the --max-children number.
> >
> > I was getting the same results with less values - the box has 1
> > GB
> > - more is on the way though.  I disabled network tests with -L
> > and things work great again so something along that line is the
> > culprit.
>
> Using -L processes messages faster, thus requiring less children
> to handle the load.  This error is caused by a system not being
> able to restore the child's config fast enough after it's done
> processing a message.  It's always due to one of two things...
> high load, or high load caused by swap thrashing.
>
> If you're using a lot of add-on rulesets your children may be
> taking up even more memory than budgeted above.  See what they're
> using and confirm that you're not going to hit swap.  If the
> problem still persists I'd like to hear about it.

Still having problems - even with -L.  Server has 1 GB of memory,
more is on the way I hope.  Anyway - I have the following rules:

fastconcepts:/etc/mail/spamassassin# ls
10_misc.cf                     88_FVGT_headers.cf
70_sare_adult.cf               88_FVGT_rawbody.cf
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf    88_FVGT_subject.cf
70_sare_evilnum0.cf            88_FVGT_uri.cf
70_sare_genlsubj.cf            99_FVGT_DomainDigits.cf
70_sare_header.cf              99_FVGT_meta.cf
70_sare_highrisk.cf            99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf
70_sare_html.cf                RulesDuJour
70_sare_obfu.cf                antidrug.cf
70_sare_oem.cf                 backhair.cf
70_sare_random.cf              bogus-virus-warnings.cf
70_sare_ratware.cf             chickenpox.cf
70_sare_specific.cf            coaching.cf
70_sare_spoof.cf               init.pre
70_sare_stocks.cf              local.cf
70_sare_unsub.cf               mr_wiggly.cf
70_sare_uri.cf                 random.cf
70_sare_uri0.cf                tripwire.cf
70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf      tsa-list.cf
70_sare_whitelist_spf.cf       useless.cf
72_sare_bml_post25x.cf         v310.pre
72_sare_redirect_post3.0.0.cf  v312.pre
88_FVGT_body.cf                weeds.cf

I created coaching.cf and tsa-list.cf - they are basically one
(well two technically) liners.

If I need to cut back I'm not sure where to start - the SARE rules
are the ones listed on rulesemporium.com - the FVGT are on
http://www.exit0.us/index.php?pagename=RulesDuJourRuleSets.  Of the
rest, only bogus-virus-warnings.cf is of any substantial size (and
still 1/3 the size of the largest SARE rule).

Should v310.pre be removed if v312.pre is also there?

Thanks,

Josh