Matt Kettler wrote:
Anders Norrbring wrote:
*sigh*.. do we really need to start a SpamAssassin-Users mailing list
drinking game?

For those not familiar, when you get home for the evening, sit down,
with a beverage of your choice (milk, soda, coffee, wine, beer) and read
the days mail for spamassassin-users.

3 drinks - Poster believes the name AWL is accurate, and wonders why
they got a positive score.
1 drink - Poster asks a question answered by a wiki article

Sure, go ahead... Or make a decent Wiki article index so it's possible
to surf the wiki in a way that makes any sense.

Now it's hard to find articles, the wiki search often returns no
results, or even pages without relevance.
While I'll agree the index needs some improvement, and the search does
not work  for many things, the default behavior if you type "awl" in the
search box and hit enter yields:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=awl&titlesearch=Titles

Which has AwlWrongWay as the first hit

And going to the "CategoryFaq" link, under "starting points" on the
index yields:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CategoryFaq

Which has AwlWrongWay as the 6th entry.

That said, http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
really should link to  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CategoryFaq

Wikis are evil, they remind me of the old faq-o-matic, ugh. That is just my opinion, and opinions are like... well you know.

The problem with searching is that someone new to a product doesn't always know what to search for. Many times I have had our support guys pass an issue on to me and I found the solution first try in Yahoo Search. The difference was I searched on "wigit rotation knob" and they searched on 'turning wigitknob left".

In your example "autowhitelist low score" returns nothing useful, nor does "change awl score" or "awl score too high". Not everyone would try just entering "awl". Certainly after most people have gotten eighty-two-hundred-bazillion hits on a search engine, 99% of which are unrelated, by using a simplistic search. Folks learn to be very specific when searching.

Maybe each article on the wiki should be indexed to a specific config option, or options? Just a thought.

DAve

Veterans?