Rick Roe wrote:
I get a lot of spam whose From addresses are users that don't exist on my system (random names like [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc). I recently set up a scheme to manually blacklist all From addresses on my domains and un-blacklist the fifty or so "real" addresses mail can legitimately come from (the system aliases like postmaster, daemon, and so forth, and a small handful of real users each with a handful of aliases), using blacklist_from and unblacklist_from in the local config file.

when you say "From addresses", do you mean envelope senders or From headers?

- if envelope senders, configure your MTA to reject such mail. In postfix,
   smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
         reject_unlisted_sender
will do. similar checks are available in other open source MTAs.

- if From headers, then whether to reject at MTA time or not is your choice. purists don't like rejecting based on headers unless they break smtp rules, which is not the case here. with postfix, you'd need a policy_service (or a milter) or a proxy_filter (header checks won't help as you can't list all invalid addresses).

This is a rather fragile system, though -- anytime I go to add any new users or aliases, I'll have to edit my local.cf files to match. My user population is rather static, so it's not a big deal, but it seems like there should be a simpler, more automatic way to do this. Am I missing something?

write a script to update the rule file, and make it called by your user creation tool.