Because if there is a DNS failure, SA triggers SPF_SOFTFAIL, which has a
very high score higher then HARD_FAIL in face!)

So, SPF_SOFTFAIL either needs to be scored LOW, or (even if the RFC's
say a DNS failure is a SOFT_FAIL) I am tired of explaining to users that
get email from AOL and their buggy, overloaded DNS servers.

(yes, I looked up the ip address and pulled a txt record from aol, and
yes, the ips are in the range, and yes, I have gotten SPF_SOFTFAIL from
domains without any spf records)

So, score SPF_HARDFAIL* high enough to be at least half your score, and
drop SPF_SOFTFAIL to only about 20% of your score.

Ie: if you are looking for a 6 to be marked 'spam', set HARD to 3, set
soft to 1.5.

Also, logically, why is spt_helo_fail a 0, and softfail 2+? And FAIL
lower then SOFTFAIL,
I know the tests seem to indicate that spammers are using spf records
:-(  but logically, it doesn't make sense (especially in the light of
the rfc's that say a legitimate email, with a server with valid spf
records with a slow or overloaded dns server on their end or YOUR end
should be marked as a SPF_SOFTFAIL)

50_scores.cf:score SPF_PASS -0.001
50_scores.cf:score SPF_HELO_PASS -0.001
50_scores.cf:score SPF_FAIL 0 1.333 0 1.142
50_scores.cf:score SPF_HELO_FAIL 0
50_scores.cf:score SPF_HELO_NEUTRAL 0
50_scores.cf:score SPF_HELO_SOFTFAIL 0 2.078 0 2.432
50_scores.cf:score SPF_NEUTRAL 0 1.379 0 1.069
50_scores.cf:score SPF_SOFTFAIL 0 1.470 0 1.384

local.cf:
SPF_HELO_SOFTFAIL 1.2
SPF_FAIL 3

If your score is 5:
1 and 2.5

Or if you have slow dns servers, set soft to .5 or 0.